Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Cloud Computing II
Speaker: Rob Curl, Pepco Holdings
Some highlights from Rob’s presentation:
- Why is the cloud opportunity happening now?
* Hardware prices are attractive
* Networking and software are improved
* SOA (service oriented architecture) mentality
- Good Cloud
* Save on hardware
* Easy to scale up
* No system admin needed for servers
* Reduced costs
- Bad Cloud
* Question about availability
* Need to watch cost structure carefully
* Who owns the data? Gray area.
- Examples of cloud based businesses
* Big Belly Solar – solar driven, small local trash compactors
* Drop Cam – plug and play webcam system; use as home security
* Netflix – now going into movie streaming.
* Pandora – Internet radio—personalized for you
* Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) –idea is to provide quick access to
biometric data on suspected terrorists to people working in remote field areas.
- The Future
Possible – every item has its own IP or unique address.
This will require an overhaul of the IP system, and larger bandwidth.
Capturing the Cloud (pdf, 939
Capturing the Cloud (ppt, 2697