IEEE 3 Excom Pre-Meeting E-Conf - January 09, 2001

DaveG>> OK, I believe we should probably get started. Thanks to all for coming...

DaveG>> Welcome to the pre-meeting of the Excom to prepare for ...

DaveG>> our 1st meeting of 2001 under the ...

DaveG>> leadership of Director Riddle. At his request, I am serving as your meeting ...

DaveG>> facilitator. The purpose of this caucus is to discuss things ...

DaveG>> prior to our official meetings for the purpose of informing members, ...

DaveG>> discovering where more information is needed, to build consensus, ...

DaveG>> and to ensure that our official meeting is productive and effective. ...

DaveG>> This is a pre-meeting so no official actions will be taken. ...

DaveG>> What I would like to do first is have eveyone say their name ...

DaveG>> into the channel. That way we will have a log of names versus nicknames...

DaveG>> So for example: Dave Green ...

DaveG>> (You don't have to wait your turn for this but just do it. Now)

BobD>> Bob Duggan

CharlesL>> Charles Lord

bwalcott>> bruce walcott

DickR>> Dick Riddle

DaleC>> Dale Caston

ReedT>> K. Reed Thompson

DanJ>> Dan Jackson

BillR>> Bill Ratcliff

ChipD>> Chip Dawson

EdO>> Ed O'Brien

JimB>> James H. Beall

DaveC>> dave conner

don>> don hill

CharlesH>> charles hickman

GroveH>> Andrew "Grove" Hargrove

Atef>> Atef Elsherbeni

DaveG>> Thanks...

DaveG>> We will use our protocol of asking for recognition to ...

DaveG>> speak by sending "C" for comment or "Q" for question into ...

DaveG>> channel and I will recognize you. Note the use of the "..." ...

DaveG>> to imply that my thought continues on the next line. ...

DaveG>> You end a line with a "." or "?" when done and the facilitator ...

DaveG>> will resume 'control'.

DaveG>> The proposed agenda is located at ...

DaveG>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/agendas.html#PreMeeting ..

DaveG>> At this time, I would like to invite Director Riddle to ...

DaveG>> make any comments he would like to... GA (Go Ahead) DickR.

DickR>> As I said looks like we have a good turnout for our...

BillH>> # Appears as TIKI

DickR>> first meeting of 2001. I welcome all of you and considering....

DickR>> it is about 20 F outside my house I am happy to be...

DickR>> home and not in an airport waiting for a plane....

DickR>> so with that let's get started.

DaveG>> (Hi BillH, please state your name into Channel.)

BillH>> Bill Harrison

DaveG>> Thanks DickR...

DaveG>> (& thanks BillH)

DaveG>> Does anyone have any items to add to the agenda?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> I have one small item to add after I make the following announcement...

DickR>> The BoD approved and IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering...

DickR>> and Computing submitted by the Caraveral Section for...

DickR>> Electronic Tecnolgoy for Space Rocket Launches 1950-1969. This...

DickR>> will be celebrated in March or April and they need our help...

DickR>> in making this a national event.

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> What I would like to do is add an item to the 2001 Budget to...

DickR>> help them get the site awards and help with this region wide...

DickR>> celebration.

DaveG>> (Hi Roy -- please state your name into channel)

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> Thanks. CharlesH -> did you get this ?

Roy>> hello from Roy Harris

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> I believe the either the Life Member Committee or RAB has put some money ...

CharlesH>> c

DanJ>> into their budget to help pay for Milestone plaques.

DickR>> c

DaveG>> Thanks. GA CharlesH

JimB>> c

CharlesH>> yes,how much do we need to add

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> Thanks Dan how do we get it?

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> I am checking the Life Member minutes. I'll let you know later in the meeting.

DaveG>> thanks. GA JimB

JimB>> HQ PR/PI Sonny Barber should be woking w/NASA to get...

JimB>> something going. After all it is the IEEE that really gets...

JimB>> the publicity. And NASA surely has some money for this///

JimB>> kind of thing.

DaveG>> Thanks. I would note that JimB has also said he has ...

DaveG>> treasurer item when we get to budget section of meeting. ...

DaveG>> Any other items for agenda?

DaveG>> Item 2. Review of status on pre-meeting activities ...

DaveG>> I am sorry I was late posting the web site...

DaveG>> I still need to link in the reports that were sent in and we still need. ...

DaveG>> many others...

DaveG>> I have posted the action items/discussion items I have seen but if there ...

BobD>> Better, Dale.

DaveG>> are others either put them on Newsgroup (NG) or e-mail. DickR -> Other items?

DickR>> Not that I can think of.

DaveG>> Anyone else?

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Hearing none...,

DaveG>> Item 3. Status of Committee Meetings ...

DaveG>> I know that SPC, Comm and E-Conf have held committee meetings...

DaveG>> has any other committee held one or plan to prior to Jan 20 that they wish to announce now?

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Hearing none...,

DaveG>> Item 2b (last one was really 2a sorry) ...

DaveG>> Status of Reports ...

DaveG>> (I reported this...) Any Q/C?

DaveG>> Now item 3. Review of Consent Agenda Items (any controversy?)

DaveG>> ...

DaveG>> items are minutes, travel policy, and receipt of all reports... Any Q/C?

DaveG>> Hearning none...

DaveG>> Review of action items submitted for "completeness"

DaveG>> - are more materials needed? ...

DaveG>> Item 1 on Action Agenda -- 2001 Budget -- any quick comments CharlesH?

CharlesH>> no

DaveG>> JimB does your item go here?

JimB>> yes

DaveG>> GA

JimB>> In the mail Jan 10 a check for 50K$ as a partial distribution ...

JimB>> from Southcon reserves to Region 3. Also checks to Fla Coucil...

JimB>> and ERA.

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

JimB>> Comment we really should consider rsaising the cap on the conference...

JimB>> fund or doing some thing to insure that the exsiting 50k and the ...

JimB>> new 50k are in a endowment type fund and just use the unterest...

JimB>> fromthem. Comments Maybe Charles has a way. Don;t

JimB>> want to just spend it up right away.

DaveG>> Thanks CharlesH could the finance committee ...

DaveG>> take a look at this and bring back an action item?

CharlesH>> We will investigate.

Roy>> c

DaveG>> Thanks. GA Roy

Roy>> The 50K fund has been more than adequate to ...

JimB>> c

Roy>> handle any of our needs for conferences over the last 10 years.

DaveG>> Thanks. GA JimB

CharlesH>> c

JimB>> Since we won't be having income from SCon we need to do something to show income from the 100k.

DaveG>> Thanks. GA CharlesL

DaveG>> Ooops-> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> Roy is correct. The only expense has been "seed" money for conferences.

Roy>> c

DaveG>> Thanks. GA Roy

Roy>> The only possible need would be a new conference startup.

JimB>> c

DaveG>> Thanks. CharlesH & finance committee will take a look and I am sure ...

DaveG>> will appreciate all input given to them. GA JimB

JimB>> My concern is if it gets into the general fund it will get soent and then no income.

DaveG>> 10-4. ...

DaveG>> Any other items concerning the budget?

DanJ>> c RE: Milestone Plaques.

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> The LMC will provide money for plaques, about $500, to Sections...

DanJ>> they expect the Region to help as well...

DanJ>> don't know exactly how to get the funds but will contact Dan Toland.

DickR>> c

DaveG>> Thanks. GA DickR

DickR>> Thanks Dan I understand that they need two plaques.

DaveG>> OK. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Other budget comments?

CharlesH>> q

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> Do we have a dollar value to add to the Region budget?

DaveG>> Anyone have suggestion?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> for the Milestone item I would say 500 to 1000 if we can...

DickR>> get others to chip in.

DaveG>> 10-4. Other budget q/c?

DaveG>> Next action item... 2001 Strategic and Operational Plan -> Bob D -- any comments?

BobD>> We had our meeting last night ...

BobD>> Several changes have been suggested, ...

BobD>> I want to get them incorporated and have a draft before the 1/20 meeting.

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Sounds good...

DaveG>> Next action item is "Awards" ...

DaveG>> we anticipate some awards to vote on and we will do this time specific so that ...

DaveG>> the executive session will be done right before our lunch break. Q/C?

DaveG>> Next action item will be Approval of Comm Committee changes...

DaveG>> BillR, would you like to say something about this?

BillR>> Yes...

BillR>> We ar in the process of reviewing ...

BillR>> the structure of the Communications Committee and have established the following objective...

BillR>> Review the structure of the Communications Committee and provide revision to Op Manual as necessary to enhance the linkage with and support of all entities in Region 3. additional Focus on Newsletter Editors, and Web Masters and Archive Management in 2001...

BillR>> The ieee.r3comm NewsGroup will be the vehicle for working the draft so join in the discussion...

BillR>> we expect to have the recommended changes ready for ExCom review prior to the Jan 20 Meeting.

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Are there other action items expected to be brought forward?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> How about the vote on our Director-Elect 2002-2003?

DaveG>> 24 of 43 sections, 34 of 60 total who can vote. All vote yes except 1 who sent back in without vote (from FL <G>)... I think this is valid.

DaveG>> we have >50% of sections, have > 50% Committee. Have overwhelming yes.

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaleC>> c

DaveG>> GA DaleC

DaleC>> Dick R. needs to furnish this info to Headquarters.

DaveG>> Thank you. Other Q/C?

JimB>> c

DaveG>> GA JimB

DaveC>> c

JimB>> Looking at our bylaws 50+ percent is all i see needed. If it were ...

JimB>> to be a single candidate 2/3 would be needed.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA DaveC

DaveC>> Given that all sections are moving to a calendar year, I believe that in future elections we will have a greater difficulty getting ...

DaveC>> end of the year ballots returned in our Delegate/Director-elect ...

DaveC>> elections. Consequently, I think that the SPC should take a look at our calendar for elections ...

DaveC>> and give some consideration to an altered schedule. <end>

DaveG>> Thanks. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Other items for action agenda?

DaveG>> Next item.... Review of discussion items submitted for "completeness"

DaveG>> - are more materials needed?

DaveG>> Only item on discussion agenda is 2001 Fall Excom...

DaveG>> DickR -> would you like to comment?

DickR>> OK ...

DickR>> we had talked about our Fall ExCom meeting in Jamaica but...

DickR>> I wanted the ExCom to kick this around some more...

DickR>> considering the added cost so I asked CharlesL and others...

DickR>> to see what the expected cost would be.

DaveG>> Thanks. Everyone should note we will discuss it as part of the meeting so we are looking at what information members might wish to participate in the discussion. Q/C?

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> What was the total cost the last time and the cost per Excom member?

DaveG>> OK. Other Q/C?

JimB>> c

DaveG>> GA JimB

JimB>> what dates in the fall?

DaveG>> OK. Thanks. Other Q/C?

CharlesH>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> I have data on previous Jamaica trip that I can provide.

DaveG>> Great. Please post to Excom Newsgroup if possible. Other Q/C?

BobD>> c

Roy>> c

DaveG>> GA BobD

BobD>> Should sked mtg before winter (high) season -- maybe October.

DaveG>> Thanks. GA Roy

Roy>> Compare to other EXCOMs.

DaveG>> Thanks. I assume CharlesH will provide this to NG as well. Other Q/C?

ChipD>> c

DaveG>> GA ChipD

DaleC>> c

ChipD>> Remember that october id Hurricane season in planning

DaveG>> OK. GA DaleC

DaleC>> IEEE TRAVEL Services might be a source for airtravel.

DaveG>> Thanks. Any other Q/C?

BobD>> c

DaveG>> GA BobD

BobD>> AirJamaica has good air/land packages fm ATL

DaveG>> Thanks. OTher Q/C?

DaveG>> Any items to propose for discussion at the Excom meeting?

DaveG>> Next item is ...

DaveG>> Review of procedures

DaveG>> - Voting

DaveG>> - Executive Session

DaveG>> These are documented on links off the agenda page and will be the same as ...

DaveG>> we have done in the past. Are there questions about the procedures?

CharlesL>> q

JimB>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesL

CharlesL>> If a voting member cannot attend a known vote in exec session...

CharlesL>> such as awards, are votes accepted early and how are they to be delivered?

DaveG>> I believe that we have typically had folks talk to the ...

DanJ>> q

DaveG>> Region Director prior to the meeting on items such as this. I am sure better answers will be given shortly.

DaveG>> GA JimB

JimB>> Will you post a current list of voting members of the ExCom?

DaveG>> Not now but yes. GA DanJ

DanJ>> Are past Directors as welcome in econference executive session as in face to face meetings?

DaveG>> DickR -> would you say yes?

DickR>> Yes

DaveG>> Thanks. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> OK. Next item is...

DaveG>> Other items: Are there any items for this evening?

BobD>> c

DaveG>> GA BobD

BobD>> Vernon Powers hasn't arrived yet ...

BobD>> He wanted to let everyone know ...

BobD>> the History update is underway, with ECD by Clemson; ...

BobD>> the ByLaws & Ops Manual update ECD by 12/31.

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Other items?

DaveG>> I think then we are ready for closing comments --- GA DickR

DickR>> Thanks to all...

DickR>> for a good meeting and a good turnout,,,,

DickR>> We will look forward to seeing you on Jan 20.

DaveG>> Thanks Dick...

DaveG>> Next Meeting - 20 January 2001 10AM EST

DaveG>> irc.ieee.org on #ieee3

DaveG>> Good night all!


David Green
Last modified: Tue Jan 9 21:51:15 CST 2001