The Vice Chair (VC) of IEEE R8 Technical Activities (TA) is responsible for coordinating the R8 activities related to technical societies’ chapters, conferences, education, standards and industry relations. The VC TA shall facilitate the proper environment to foster innovative ideas and new initiatives that support R8 goals and objectives in the above mentioned areas and pave the road for successful implementation. The VC TA shall be elected by the Region 8 Committee from nominations provided by the Region 8 Nominations and Appointment Subcommittee. The term of his/her office shall be one year. After having served one term the VC shall be eligible to be re-elected for up to two additional one year terms. The VC TA shall report to Region 8 on TA subcommittees & coordinators activities.
The Region 8 Vice-Chair of Technical Activities for 2010 is Fritz Bekkadal. He can be contacted via e-mail:
For information regarding R8 Chapter of the Year 2009 Award Nomination Form, please contact Peter Magyar, Chair of R8 Chapter Coordination Sub-Committee (CCSC)
The IEEE R8 Technical Activities believes in:
- Inclusiveness – Embracing diversity of R8 members and their careers. Respecting each other’s values with honesty and transparency.
- Networking – Creating an engaged, interactive community of technical professionals from both industry and academic sectors
- Professionalism – Maintaining the highest level of professional and ethical standards.
- Technical Excellence – Disseminating high quality scientific and technical information in a timely, equitable and objective manner.
- Volunteerism – The driving force of R8 Technical Activities
Goals of IEEE R8 Operating Committee (OpCom):
Following are the proposed 2009 IEEE R8 OpCom Goals:
- Build a friendly atmosphere within the Region,
- Increase the number of young engineers from the industry,
- Encourage Chapters and Student Branches to enhance their activity,
- Continue the implementation of best practices.
Long Term Goals of R8 Technical Activities:
- Industry and Practitioners – Industry professionals and their employers will value IEEE R8 TA as major resource to achieve success
- Information and Knowledge Development – Knowledge generators will regard IEEE R8 TA as the organization of choice to promote innovative technical communities
- Education – R8 TA will improve professional competencies by providing targeted education and support for students and professionals
- Community Collaboration – IEEE R8 TA will foster a dynamic ecosystem where technical communities preserve their individuality but at the same time collaborate in an open environment where the total value is greater than the sum of the parts.
- Organization and Structure – IEEE R8 TA will be a best of class model organization allowing balance between consistency and autonomy
IEEE R8 Technical Activities Subcommittees & Coordinators
R8 TA Members email:
1.Chapter Coordination SubCommittee (CCSC)
Peter Magyar (Germany) - Chair
Daniel Pasquet (France)
Tamás Ruzsányi (Hungary)
Cor Claeys (Benelux)
Samir I. Shaheen (Egypt)
2.Conference Coordination SubCommittee (CoCSC)
Marian Kaźmierkowski (Poland) - Chair
Gerhard Hancke (South Africa)
Carl Debono (Malta)
Baldomir Zajc (Slovenia)
3.Educational Activities SubCommittee (EASC)
Joao Costa Freire (Portugal) - Chair
Bakr Hassan (Saudi Arabia)
Saurabh Sinha (South Africa)
Andreas Luxa (Germany)
Maciek Ogorzałek (Poland)
Okyay Kaynak (Turkey)
4.Industry Relations SubCommittee (IRSC)
Benito Palumbo (Italy) - Chair
Ghaleb Al-Dandan (Saudi Arabia) - Energy Initiative
Boris Levitas (Lithuania)
Ferhan Özkan (Turkey) - ISBIR Initiative
Igor Gazdik (Sweden)
David Law (UKRI) - Coordinator