The IEEE Region 8 Nominations and Appointments (N&A) Committee is soliciting nominations for the following leadership positions:
- IEEE Region 8 2013-2014 Director-Elect (six year commitment)
- IEEE Region 8 2012 Vice Chair, Member Activities (one year commitment)
- IEEE Region 8 2012 Vice Chair, Student Activities (one year commitment)
- IEEE Region 8 2012 Vice Chair, Technical Activities (one year commitment)
Please submit your suggestions with short biography of candidate to Jozef Modelski, Chair of the N&A Committee at
by 30 June 2011.
The template is available here
Elections of 2012 Vice Chairs will be held during R8 Committee Meeting in San Francisco on 18 August 2011
2013-2014 Director Elect will be elected by the voting members of the Region 8 from the slate nominated by R8 Committee (ballot in 2012)
According to the IEEE REGION 8 OPERATIONS MANUAL – p. R8-6.1.2:
The Region 8 Nominations and Appointments (N&A) Subcommittee shall identify qualified candidates for elected and appointed positions of Region 8 and its Committees including candidates for the Director-Elect slate.
The Region 8 Nominations and Appointments (N&A) Subcommittee shall consist of the following members:
- Region 8 Director
- Past Region 8 Director
- Three members elected for a period of 2 years renewable, by the R8 Section Chairs.
Candidates must fulfill one of the following criteria at the time of their election:
- be a Section Chair in office
- have been a Section Chair within the past 3 years
- have been a Section Chair and currently holding an elected or appointed position of the R8 Committee.
STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY
The Region 8 Nominations and Appointments (N&A) Subcommittee shall:
1. Submit to the Region 8 Committee, to the Director of Region 8, or to the Region 8 Vice-Chairs as case defined in the IEEE, MGA Board, Region 8 Bylaws or Operations Manuals, a list of candidates recommended for election or appointment on 1 January of the following year, in time for election or appointment before 31 December or as otherwise called for in the Region 8 Bylaws or this Operations Manual.
2. Submit to the Board of Directors, after the approval of the R8 Committee, a slate of at least two and not more than three candidates for Region 8 Director-Elect In the case of the election process involving more than one candidate, the Region 8 N&A Subcommittee slate of candidates, including biographies and position statements, shall be made available to all members of the Region 8 Committee at least twenty-eight days (28) before the Region 8 Committee meeting at which the election shall take place or the slate approved. The order of names for each position will be randomised.
Each candidate for a Region 8 Committee-elected position may have a Committee Delegate as an advocate. The advocate will present the candidate’s background and qualifications to the Region 8 Committee.
When a meeting is convened to make the recommendations for the R8 Director-Elect slate, the current Director-Elect shall take no part in that aspect of the meeting.
A member of the Region 8 N&A Subcommittee who does not resign from that Subcommittee by 1 May is not eligible to be nominated by the Region 8 N&A Subcommittee for any position to be filled by the Region 8 Committee. Candidates for the office of Region 8 Director-Elect are exempt from this provision.
* * *
2011 - 2012 MEMBERS
- Józef Modelski (Poland) - Chair
- Marko Delimar (Croatia) - ex-officio
- Martin Bastiaans (Benelux) - ex-officio
- Terje Gjengedal (Norway) - elected
- Samir Shaheen (Egypt) - elected
- Tunde Salihu (Nigeria) - elected