The Region 8 Volunteer Award is introduced with the goal of encouraging all volunteers in the Region and of recognizing those volunteers who have made an outstanding contribution to a particular Region 8 Section.
The Award is a Certificate.
The scheme will be known as the IEEE Region 8 Volunteer Award.
The following are eligible as candidates for the Award:
(a) An IEEE member of any membership grade (Student, Graduate Student, Associate, Member, Senior Member, Fellow, Life Fellow).
(b) The candidate's volunteer work is, or has been, on behalf of a Section. The candidate must have been active for at least 2 years in the Section and is not currently the Section Chairman.
(c) The candidate receives no remuneration for his work for the Section except possibly expenses.
(d) The members of the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee, the Past Region 8 Director or the Director-Elect and Region 8 Secretary are ineligible for the Award.
- Conditions for nomination
(a) Nominations must be made on the Nomination Form (available on http://www.ieee.org/r8 or directly from any member from the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee).
(b) The Nomination Form must be completed by a proposer who is familiar with the work of the candidate and who is a paid-up IEEE member.
(c) Nominations must be approved by the Executive Committee (ExCom) of the Section. The Chairman of the Section must sign the Nomination Form. Any member of the Section Execution Committee, including the Chairman, made be the proposer.
(d) Nominations must be received by the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee Chair no later than 31st December.
(e) A Section may put forward only one candidate per year.
- Basis of adjudication
The points which adjudicators will take into consideration include the following:
(a) Length of service to the Section. (Note: it is not a condition that the candidate is working for the Section at the time he or she is nominated)
(b) Whether a candidate has introduced new ideas or new developments which have benefited the Section.
(c) Administrative ability.
(d) Support for the work of other people who are serving the Section.
(e) Furthering the work and promoting the objectives of the IEEE and Region 8 in general, and of the Section in particular, at Section, Chapter or Student Branch level, or in some other activity.
The adjudicators are the members of the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee (Chairman, Region 8 Director, Region 8 Secretary, 3 Section Chairs, representative of the Student Activities Committee).
The adjudicators' decisions will be final.
Nomination will be assessed by awarding the candidate up to 10 points for points 2 (b), (c) and (d) of the Nomination Form, taking into account the basis of adjudication set out in paragraph 5.
The annual timetable is:
Call for Nominations September
Nomination Deadline February 20th 2012
Result announced June
[Note: This timetable will enable the Call for Nominations to be included with the agenda papers for the second Region 8 Committee meeting each year, and for the adjudicators to meet at the first Region 8 Committee meeting each year.]
Region 8 Outstanding Section Awards
The Region 8 Outstanding Section Awards are being established with the goal of recognizing excellent performance by Region 8 Sections. Two awards will be presented annually:
• One Large Section = 501 or more members (including Students) as of 31st December of the past year.
• One Small Section = 500 or fewer members (including Students) as of 31st December of the past year.
Each award is for outstanding success of a Section in fulfilling its goals - in accordance with IEEE policy - by organizing technical, professional and geographic activities for the benefit of its members and by maintaining, enhancing, and supporting the Student Branches, Chapters, and Affinity Groups within its geographic boundaries.
The awards will be titled the “IEEE Region 8 Outstanding Large Section Award” and the “IEEE Region 8 Outstanding Small Section Award.”
(a) All Region 8 Sections are eligible and can apply for one of the two awards according to their relative size.
(b) No Section may receive two Region 8 Outstanding Section Awards within three years.
- Conditions for nomination
(a) Nominations must be submitted using the forms available from the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee.
(b) A statement must be included in the nomination that identifies the specific activities performed by the Section that qualify it to be an Outstanding Section in Region 8.
(c) The nomination form must be completed by a nominator familiar with the work of the Section.
(d) The nominated Section must have satisfied all of the IEEE reporting requirements on time.
- Basis of the award
The following aspects and activities are considered in the selection of the Outstanding Section and should be part of the nomination documents:
• The completed nomination form for the Region 8 Outstanding Section Award must be submitted before the deadline;
• Section submission of financial, officer and meeting reports is a necessary condition for award nomination;
• Data concerning member retention of the Section;
• Data about number of Student Branches relative to the number of technical universities within the Section’s geographic boundaries;
• Report concerning the activities of GOLD / WIE / Life Members Affinity Groups, etc. within the Section, or the plans for their formation;
• Report about Student Branches activities (e.g., Student paper contest, recruitment of Student members, etc.);
• Report about technical and professional activities, (e.g. professional meetings, continuing educational activities, conferences, workshops, chapters’ technical meetings, use of IEEE distinguished lecturers Program, etc..).
• Activities related to membership development within the Section.
• Report concerning means of communications with Section members, including the frequency of newsletter issues, e-mail newsletters, regular updating of Section, Chapters, and Student Branches Web pages;
• Community projects and services that increase public visibility of IEEE.
Other criteria used for the selection of the Outstanding Section:
• Relationship of Section to National Societies, other non-IEEE organizations and industry.
• Conferences sponsored by the Section.
• Public events held by the Section to help improve the visibility of IEEE and its members.
• Activities performed in the Section on behalf of society and the engineering profession.
Selection and award process
• Two Region 8 Outstanding Section Awards will be presented annually, one each for Large and Small Sections.
• Recipients will be selected by the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee.
• Nominees and recipients will be notified.
• Recipients will receive an inscribed plaque.
• Region 8 Director will present the award at an appropriate event to the Section Chair.
The adjudicators are the members of the Region 8 Awards and Recognition Subcommittee.
Call for Nominations 1 December
Nomination Deadline 15 February
Announcement of the Awards will be made at the following Region 8 Committee Meeting.
Victor Fouad Hanna, an IEEE fellow, France Section past Chair and Region 8 Committee member in various positions since 2001, has been recently elected by the president of the French Republic as Knight "Chevalier" in The Legion of Honour which is the highest decoration founded after the French Revolution.
In the photograph above Mr Didier LOMBARD, Commandor of The Legion of Honour (Gener al President of France Telecom & Orange) gives Victor the insignia of this honour Medal on april 05, 2011.
Victor has also received recently during the IEEE Intenational Microwave Symposium, the IEEE/MTT-S Society 2011 N. Walter Cox Award of the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S). This award recognizes an individual who has given exemplary service to the Society in a spirit of selfless dedication and cooperation.
The citation reads:
“ In recognition of exemplary service to the MTT Society in a spirit of selfless dedication and cooperation”.
IEEE Region 8 congratulates Victor for the two awards and is very happy to have in its family such honored members.
The principal awards administered within Region 8 are:
Clementina Saduwa Award
Chapter of the Year Awards
Region 8 Volunteer Award
Region 8 Outstanding Section Award
Student Awards and Contests
The Committee also contributes to the MGA Awards and Recognition Committee, and its program of awards.
MGA Outstanding Section Awards (deadline May 14th 2012)
Details of these awards can be found on the MGA website.
Responsibilities of the Region 8 ARC
The Region 8 Awards and Recognition Sub-Committee is responsible for informing the Sections and Chapters of the IEEE awards program. In particular, the Sub-Committee is responsible for the administration of the Region 8 awards and recognition program. It aims to make all members in the region aware of the awards available, and to encourage them to nominate candidates from their Sections, Chapters, etc. The Sub-Committee is required to follow the procedures defined in the Rehion 8 Operations Manual before an award is made. It also liaises with the Student Activities Committee (SAC) and the Chapter Co-ordination Sub-Committee in regard to the awards administered separately by them.
Awards & Recognitions Committee (ARC-8)
Charles W Turner (Chair) UKRI
Victor Fouad Hanna (Past Chair) France
Martin Bastiaans Benelux
Jef Beerten Benelux
(Student Awards Representative)
Maciej Ogorzalek Poland
Samir Shaheen Egypt