Region 8 Coordinator for Conferences: Carl Debono (Malta).
Supporting team member: Karl Gudmundsson (Iceland)
Supporting team member: Jan Haase (Austria)
Corresponding member: Gerhard Hancke (South Africa)
The objective of Conference Coordination Subcommittee (CoCSC) is to facilitate effective and timely conference planning and execution in the Region.
Incoming R8 Conferences
· EUROCON 2011 April 28-30, Lisbon, Portugal
· AFRICON 2011 September 13-15, Victoria Falls, Zambia
· ENERGYCON 2012 September 9-12, Florence, Italy
· SIBIRCON 2012 August 27-31, Belokuriha, Russia
· MELECON 2012 March 25-28, Yasmine Hammamet, Tunisia
· EUROCON 2013 July 2-5, Zagreb, Croatia
· HISTELCON 2013, September 5-8, Pavia, Italy
· AFRICON 2013, September 9-12, Mauritius
Looking for IEEE Organizational Unit(s) Candidates to Organize Future R8 Conferences
· ENERGYCON 2014
· HISTELCON 2014
· MELECON 2014
· EUROCON 2015
· AFRICON 2015
- Encourage Region 8 Committees and Sections to develop conferences to meet the specialized interests of their members. Use the accumulated experience of the Region to help ensure early success of such ventures.
- Act as the focal point for information about IEEE conferences being scheduled in Region 8.
- Periodically review the effectiveness of all conferences sponsored or co-sponsored by Region 8. Recommend improvements as appropriate to the conference leadership, hosting section and associated activities. Suggest new conferences where a need is recognized and suggest termination of conferences no longer needed or posing undue financial liability.
- Assist with conference related questions.
- Assist in creating the content for Region 8 conferences web pages.
- Maintain an awareness of the availability of professional conference management services and suggest the use of such services where appropriate. Give assistance in the negotiation of contracts for service. Review all such contracts where Region 8 might have financial liability and make recommendations to the Region 8 Operating Committee regarding approval of such contracts.
- Solicit invitations from Sections in Region 8 to host the flagship R8 conferences in accordance with Region 8 and IEEE Bylaws.
- Develop & maintain general guidelines for IEEE Region 8 sponsored conferences to ensure a high quality of the related conferences end products and services, and revise as appropriate.
- Make all conference leaders aware of potential schedule conflicts between conferences without undue concern where geography or different technical interests limit the impact of schedule proximity.
- Manage the budget of the Conference Committee if R8 is financially liable.
- Maintain historical records, and obtain, develop and keep current documentation on Region 8 conferences.
- Submit pertinent and timely conference information to the Region 8 Newsletter Editor.
- Represent the Region at IEEE Conference workshops and meetings.
- Coordinate area and/or region wide conferences offering dates and locations of conferences to avoid overlaps.
- Consolidate a list of all technical society conferences with associated information that are coming into Region 8.
- Distribute information on Region venues to technical societies.
- Cooperate with Region 8 Membership Development Committee and Industry Relation Subcommittee (IRSC).
- Normal 0 false false false EN-ZA X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
For example: Membership development booths should be setup.
Order MD Kit - Includes brochures, posters, and flyers.
- Copies of Region 8 News can also be ordered in hardcopy format.
Requirements and Forms for Region 8 Sponsored and Co-Sponsored Conferences
Following documents are available for conference organizers asking Region 8 for Financial Sponsorship or Technical Co-Sponsorship:
Benefits gained from Region 8 co-sponsorship:
Region 8 Co-Sponsored Conferences
Go to the IEEE R8 Calendar to have a full list of IEEE conferences in Region 8.
Conference Archives - Previous Region 8 Conferences (Proceedings)
· 2009: Nairobi, Kenya, September 22-25
· 2007: Windhoek, Namibia, September 26-28
· 2004: Gaborone, Botswana, September 15-17
· 2010: Manama, Bahrain, December 18-21
· 2009: Saint-Petersburg, Russia, May 18-23
· 2007: Warsaw, Poland, September 9-12
· 2005: Belgrade, Serbia, November 21-24
· 2010: Madrid, Spain, November 3-5
· 2008: Paris, France, September 11-12
· 2010: Valletta, Malta, Apr. 26-28
· 2008: Ajaccio, France, May 5-7
· 2006: Torremolinos (Málaga), Spain, May 16-19
· 2004: Dubrovnik, Croatia, May 12-15
· 2010: Irkutsk Listvyanka, Russia, July 11-15
· 2008: Novosibirsk, Russia, July 21-25
Frequently asked questions:
1. Communication / call for papers to members - Region 8
Several Region 8 conference organizers continue to extend conference/workshop calls/invitations to our members in Region 8.
While the activities are noted in a positive spirit, our members are somewhat crowded by the stack that gets lined-up via IEEE's e-Notice system. We are therefore proposing that those conferences, who have a signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IEEE Region 8 can send brief information to the Conference Coordination Subcommittee (CoCSC) Chair, who will create a single, but brief message (once a month), and send this out as a "monthly" digest to our members in Region 8.
The digest could be part of the Region 8 Gazette, which will be sent once a month. Additionally, conferences with formal association with Region 8, could benefit from a special issue of the Gazette, which could be sent every 2 weeks.
2. Training material
IEEE Members or Volunteers interested in setting up an IEEE conference in partnership with one or more technical IEEE organizational units (OUs) in Region 8, please refer to the training material:
Conference Basics - How to Start a Conference? (PDF) PDF document
Create a Memorandum of Understanding - Conferences (PDF, 244KB) PDF document
Conference Initiation: Information Schedule and Benefits (PDF, 3,865KB) PDF document
Conference Finance: Best Practices from Initial Setup to Conference Close (PDF, 685KB)
3. Guidelines and Procedures for Bidding to host IEEE Region 8 Flagship Conferences
4. Region 8 Webinar on 3 Nov. 2011 (16h00 (UTC))
Introduction and Overview of Conference Coordination Subcommittee
Presented by Saurabh Sinha and Carl Debono.
Presentations by Susan Hutton (MGA) and Susan Root (Conference Services) on Conference Co-sponsorships.
Recording (21 MB)