IEEE EDUCATION SOCIETY
Ad Hoc Committee on Ethics Education
The mission of the committee is to promote the education of professional ethics in computing, engineering, science, and technology within the Education Society, IEEE, and the public at large.
The vision of the committee is to achieve global recognition as the leader for professional ethics and practice.
The goals of the committee are as follows:
- Provide opportunities for individuals and organizations to become aware of professional ethics in the areas of Information and Electro-technology and its products at levels consistent with their needs.
- Establish an awareness of professional ethics throughout industry, academia, and global communities.
- Enhance professional ethics education through the development of improved education techniques, materials, opportunities, and communications in a global context.
- Serve the members of the Education Society, IEEE, and the public in support of the mission of the committee.
The committee shall accomplish its goals through the following activities:
- Define the educational goals of professional ethics applicable to global contexts;
- Develop a recommended curriculum for ethics education;
- Establish a manual of ethical and professional case studies in computing, engineering, science, and technology
- Collaborate with conferences and symposia on ethics education;
- Develop and produce ethics presentations for chapters and for other events;
- Establish an ethics website linked to the IEEE Education Society website to include:
- Resources on ethical education (e.g., books, papers, videos, etc.)
- Institutions that conduct courses on professional ethical education
- eLearning modules (EAB's) on professional ethics and ethical education
- Develop a compendium of ethical education papers and articles
The committee shall liaise with the IEEE Education Activities Board (EAB), with the Ethics and Member Conduct Committee (EMCC), with the Society for Social Implications of Technology (SSIT), and with other appropriate IEEE organizational units.