PPST Committee News — April 08, 2013
2013 PPST Committee Award Recipients have been announced (scroll down to see the recipients)!
The next PPST Committee meeting is tenatively scheduled to be held Sunday June 16, 2013 in San Francisco, CA.
Dr. Weihua Jiang is selected as the Senior Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, replacing Dr. Edl Schamiloglu.
Academician Gennady Mesyats, 2012 IEEE Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award recipient, has been elected to the US National Academy of Engineering. Congratulations to him!
Gennady A. Mesyats accepted the 2012 IEEE Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award at ICOPS 2012 in Edinburgh. Nominated by Past-Chair Edl Schamiloglu on behalf of the Pulsed Power Science and Technology Committee, the citation reads "For founding the field of nanosecond pulsed power and for seminal contributions to the physics of vacuum breakdown at high power levels." Congratulations to Academic Mesyats and the Pulsed Power Science and Technology community!
Pulsed Power Science & Technology (PPST)
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
The IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society Standing Technical Committee for Pulsed Power Science and Technology was formed January 1995 to sponsor the Pulsed Power Conferences, and further research and development of pulsed power and related technologies. One of the goals of the committee (whose Constitution and By-Laws can be found here) is to encourage the archiving of pulsed power advances through publication in the IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. The biennial Pulsed Power Conference has been the traditional forum for the archival storage of advances in pulsed power research. The IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science now publishes a biennial Special Issue on Pulsed Power Science and Technology. The inaugural issue appeared in April 1997 (Edl Schamiloglu, Kenneth Prestwich, William Baker, and Gerald Cooperstein, Guest Editors), the second issue appeared October 1998 (Robert Reinovsky and Peter Turchi, Guest Editors), the third issue appeared in October 2000 (Hugh Kirbie and Steve Sampayan, Guest Editors), the fourth issue appeared in October 2002 (Hulya Kirkici and Jane Lehr, Guest Editors), and the fifth Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science on Pulsed Power Science and Technology recently appeared in October 2004 and the Guest Editors were Professor James Dickens, Professor John Mankowski, and Dr. Jane Lehr. The sixth Special Issue appeared in October 2006 and the Guest Editors were Drs. Jane Lehr, Bryan Oliver, and Mark Savage of Sandia National Laboratories. The seventh Special Issue appeared in October 2008 and the Guest Editors were Drs. Bryan Oliver (Sandia National Laboratories), Randy Curry (University of Missouri – Columbia), and Raymond Allen (Naval Research Laboratory). The eighth Special Issue appeared in October 2010 and the Guest Editors were Drs. Larry Altigilbers (Army Space and Missile Defense Command), Randy Curry (University of Missouri – Columbia), Weihua Jiang (Nagaoka University of Technology), and Paul D. Smith (Oxford University). The ninth Special Issue appeared in October 2012 and the Guest Editors were Drs. Mark Crawford (IAT, UT Austin), Ravi Joshi (Old Dominion University), and Luis Redondo (Lisbon Superior Engineering Institute (ISEL) and Nuclear Physics Center from Lisbon University (CFNUL). Congratulations to the Guest Editors!
Significant advancements in the field of pulsed power research are formally recognized by three awards given out at the Pulsed Power Conferences.
The Erwin Marx Award recognizes outstanding contributions to pulsed power technology by an individual over an extended period of time; The Peter Haas Award recognizes outstanding contributions to pulsed power technology resulting from an individual's continued effort to develop programs of research, education, and information exchange that are the basis for progress in pulsed power; Finally, the Arthur H. Guenther Pulsed Power Award recognizes outstanding student contributions to pulsed power engineering.
To learn more about these awards and how you can nominate a worthy individual, please press a link below this text.
Announcing the Recipients of the 2013 PPS&T Technical Committee Awards
- IEEE Erwin Marx Award — Dr. Ian R. McNab, Institute for Advanced Technology, The University of Texas at Austin ("For fundamental contributions to the research and transition of pulsed power technologies from laboratory phenomena to industrial, environmental, and bio-medical applications, and for dedicated service to the current and future pulsed power community through the establishment of international educational programs, symposia, and conferences.")
- IEEE Peter Haas Award — Dr. Scott J. MacGregor, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Strathclyde ("For pioneering contributions to the research, development, and demonstration of hypervelocity electromagnetic launchers, mega-ampere rotating machine generators, and multi-megajoule pulsed power systems for railguns.")
- 2012 Arthur H. Guenther Pulsed Power Student Award — Joint student winners for 2012, Mr. Shurik Yatom, Ph.D. candidate at Technion-Israel Institute of Technology ("For academic excellence and research accomplishments in numerical and experimental investigations of cathode electron emission and nanosecond discharges in pressurized gases.") and Mr. Jouya Jadidian, Ph.D. candidate at Massachusetts Institute of Technology ("For academic excellence and research accomplishments in the areas of high pulsed magnetic fields, spark gap switching, and modeling of streamers in liquids.")
- 2013 Arthur H. Guenther Pulsed Power Student Award — Mr. Jacob C. Stephens, Ph.D. candidate at Texas Tech University ("For academic excellence and research accomplishments in modeling and experimental investigations of dense metal plasmas, fuse opening switches, and surface flashover.")
Congratulations to the recipients!
2013 Pulsed Power Science & Technology
Standing Technical Committee — Voting Members:
2013 Pulsed Power Science & Technology
Standing Technical Committee — Ex Officio Members:
- Call for 2013 IEEE Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award Nominations
- Nomination Form: The deadline for submitting a nomination form to join the IEEE Pulsed Power Science and Technology Committee for 2013 has passed. Please consider submitting a nomination form for 2014.
Committee Member Login
- For PPS&T Committee Members: Click here to access archives of the PPS&T Committee Meetings and NPSS AdCom Meetings.
- IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science
- List of IEEE Fellows in the Pulsed Power Science & Technology and Related Areas
- List of Past IEEE NPSS PPS&T Award Recipients (1981 to 2011)
- Please join us at the 19th IEEE International Pulsed Power Conference to be held in San Francisco, CA, June 16-22, 2013!
- The 2011 Pulsed Power Conference
(18th IEEE International Pulsed Power Conference) Website
- The 2009 Pulsed Power Conference
(17th IEEE International Pulsed Power Conference) Website
- Pulsed Power and Plasma Science 2007
(16th IEEE International Pulsed Power Conference Combined with the 34th ICOPS)
- All Plasma-Related Conferences