Power Engineering Society General Meeting 2007


IEEE Distribution Analysis Subcommittee

Tuesday, June 26, 2007, Tampa, Florida




Sukumar Brahma, Sandoval Carneiro Jr., Roger Dugan, Ehab El-Saadany, Fangxing (Fran) Li, Tom McDermott, Alejandro Montenegro, Nirmal Nair, Nuthalapati Sarma, Kevin Schneider, David Wang, Steve Widergren.


Meeting was called to order at 9:04 AM.

1.      Introductions were made by attendees. Tom outlined the responsibilities that go with the DSA membership.

2.      Officers will rotate in January 2009, since Sando served an additional year on behalf of Karen.

3.      Minutes of the GM 2006 (Montreal) and PSACE 2006 (Atlanta) were approved as distributed.

4.      Discussion:

a.       PSACE receives the largest number of paper submissions to IEEE General Meetings. PES is concerned with paper quality & high acceptance rates. However, there was no consensus to a definite course of action. A concern was raised that increasing rejection of papers will adversely affect attendance in general meetings.

b.      The DSA sponsored paper session in GM 2007 was very well attended. Roger recorded 70 attendees during the second presentation.

c.       The AC/DC panel session in GM 2007 had around 30 attending, as recorded by Tom.

d.      IEEE 1547.2 is to be balloted in Fall 2007.

5.      T&D 2008 Panel Session (paper deadline is September 14):

·        "Distribution Test Feeder Solutions" (Dugan). The next test feeder will address overcurrent protection and/or stray voltage.

2008 General Meeting Panel Sessions (paper deadline is December 17):

·        "Trends in Distribution System Analysis and Design" (Sarma)

·        "DER and Smart Grid Analysis" (Li & Widergren)

·        "Stray Voltage Analysis Techniques" (McDermott)

6.      WG, TF Update:

·        WG on Recommended Practices for Distribution System Analysis (McDermott). The scope (attached) was approved by PSACE, and Tom will file the PAR at IEEE Standards, with assistance from Andy Ford (ford@pjm.com).

·        TF on Feeder-Level Modeling of Distributed Generation (Butler-Purry, to retire). Fran Li, University of Tennessee, has volunteered to take over this TF. It will continue under the WG on Recommended Practices.

·        TF on Distribution Test Feeders (Kersting). Bill is willing to continue by email and phone, but won’t be attending many General meetings on his own funding.

o       One of the new test feeders will focus on stray voltage.

o       Another new test feeders will focus on overcurrent protection and voltage control.

o       Some of the new test feeders may actually use an existing test feeder, with supplemental data provided to support new analysis tasks.

7.      Liasons (we need to keep the following on our liason radar screen):

·        DG Integration WG, Distribution Subcommittee (Tom) – preparing a system studies annex for IEEE 1547.2

·        Stray Voltages WG, Distribution Subcommittee (??) – this one has a longer official name about voltages in publicly and privately accessible places.

·        Various DG modeling WG/TF under T&D/General Systems SC (??). These are the EMTP modeling experts.

·        TF on Reliability of Distribution Systems, PSACE Reliability SC (Lina Bertling, lina.bertling@ee.kth.se) – they are preparing a reliability test system for distribution systems, akin to the very successful transmission system reliability test system they have already published. As Alex Schneider noted, there is an obvious overlap with our test cases.

8.      PSACE Update: (Tom attended the PSACE admin and tech meetings for Karen)

·        There were 872 total papers in the Tampa meeting. 244 were submitted to PSACE, and 169 of those accepted for 19.4% of the conference total. There were 19 papers withdrawn and 55 rejected. Of the 169 accepted, there were 77 panel presentations, 80 posters, and 12 transactions. 127 reviewers helped. PSACE had 9 paper sessions, 15 panels, and 16 committee meetings. Many other PES groups “resent” these totals; they focus on standards and committee meetings more than papers. PSACE will most likely be asked to curtail its paper and session counts.

·        There were 20+ tentative panel sessions listed for the 2008 General meeting in Pittsburgh, of which DSASC requested 3. There will be plenty of meeting rooms available in Pittsburgh, but we may still be asked to limit the sessions and papers to a more sustainable number for other (i.e., more popular) venues. Ross Baldick is the TCPC for Pittsburgh.

·        We might be getting short-changed in the prize paper evaluation due to the voting method used. One of this year’s winners has not actually been published yet. Sando and others admonish each SC chair to nominate a prize paper in plenty of time. Deadline for Awards nominations is November 14. Prize papers should be nominated a couple weeks earlier.)

·        The Economics SC has a “Wiki” on terms; the rest of us may be asked to do something similar. Web hosting and editors are in a state of revision at IEEE, and the SC webmasters will need to update and maintain their pages accordingly.

·        The 2009 PSCE will be in Seattle, in the spring. The 2009 General meeting will be in Calgary.

·        PSACE will post guidelines for paper reviewers on a Web site. Reviewers need to check for duplicate publications, using citation & search features in IEEE Xplore. These guidelines are Daniel Kirschen’s action item.

·        The poster sessions were poorly organized (too many papers in the session, described as a “technical food court”). Also, many posters are of low quality. There are several Web sites that describe how to prepare a poster, and presenters should follow those guidelines.

·        Roger said the PES is considering several options to revamp the paper acceptance process. The main options identified were:

o       Raise acceptance standards

o       More poster sessions

o       Make the presentation (in person) optional

o       Offer a choice for poster, or no presentation

o       Recruit high-value papers

o       Evolve to fewer papers and sessions
(Some of these are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Papers and sessions are very important to PSACE, less so for some other committees. Many of the equipment-oriented groups have a tendency to limit the publications to well-vetted and clearly valuable work. In contrast, PSACE like to “let many flowers bloom” … so these are conflicting viewpoints. These points will be settled above the level of PSACE.)

·        Mark O’Malley reported on some new working groups to be formed under the new Wind Power Coordinating Committee. Contact Mark for more information, including how to join up.

o       Capacity Value (Mark is chairing)

o       Operating with Variable Resource, including Unit Commitment and Load Following

o       Market Design

o       Standard Planning Models

o       Wind Farm Collector Design

o       Transmission Alternatives


Meeting was adjourned at 10:30 AM.


Prepared by

Sukumar Brahma