January 31, 2001
22 members and guests signed in - Tom Baldwin, Mesut Baran, Vesna
Borozan, Sandoval Carneiro, Roger Dugan, Antonio Exposito, Jiyuan Fan,
Xiaoming Feng, Yoshikazu Fukuyama, Roy Hoffman, Kevin Jones, Bill Kersting,
Tom McDermott, Karen Miu, Hiroyuki Mori, Scott Neumann, Anil Pahwa,
Sebastian Rios, Noel Schulz, Kovrosh Sedghisigarohi, John Spare, Mohammad
Introduction and Paper Reviews
Baran opened the meeting with introductions and approval of the minutes
from Seattle. He needs more help with paper reviews, and asked members to
let him know specific technical areas of interest for reviews. He gets
about 3-4 papers per month, each of them sent to 5 reviewers; it’s a
significant weekend effort to coordinate that process and select the right
Carniero said the paper review process can take more than 2 years, with
no response from IEEE on status inquiries. Baran said much of the holdup
is at IEEE HQ, particularly if there is any trouble at all with conversion
to PDF. He said authors should make sure the latest Web-posted guidelines
have been followed to avoid delays. Pahwa said IEEE was trying to clean up
the backlog and has been doing better lately. Schulz advised checking with
the specific Transactions editor for status.
Radial Test Feeders
Kersting briefly described the test feeders, which have been posted on
the Web site with solutions from his program. Please run them and let him
know about any errors. More details will be presented at the panel session
Wednesday afternoon. Jones will attempt solutions in the Synergee
software, Hoffman and Neumann will attempt to model the feeders in CIM.
The work of the task force is basically done. A CAPS article should be
written to promote use of the test feeders in papers and for vendor
Dugan reported that one of Schulz’s undergraduate students entered
three vendor data formats into a spreadsheet. Jones will inquire about use
of the Synergee data model. The goal is to come up with an IEEE dictionary
leading forward to XML data transfer. He has 5 or 6 vendor data formats;
more work is needed to get the information in shape. Other efforts like
EPRI CIM are moving faster, but may have too much transmission focus.
Neumann noted that IEC, CIM, and Multispeak face aggressive deadlines, but
many of those involved are willing to make ongoing revisions to
accommodate distribution system data. He will try to implement the radial
test feeders in CIM to identify possible extensions in CIM. He also asked
for people to help with IEC changes for distribution system support.
There was general discussion throughout the meeting about the
subcommittee’s focus, and what should be done next. Baran stated that
our focus should be on feeder-level analysis, leaving device modeling to
other groups. The subcommittee’s focus could be subdivided into analysis
methods like power flow, fault, and reliability as building blocks, and
applications like planning and design. Some analysis papers show up in
sessions sponsored by the Distribution or General Systems Subcommittees of
T&D, but this overlap is just a fact of life. McDermott will attend
the Distribution Subcommittee meeting on Wednesday, and try to learn the
scope of DG modeling task forces under the T&D committee. We need to
avoid duplicate efforts in areas like DG.
Another effort will be to develop a Distribution System Analysis
Application Guide, partly as a follow-on to the test feeder update.
Kersting wrote one chapter like this for the Distribution Planning
tutorial several years ago, but most of the tutorial was on planning
aspects and it’s now out of print. The process can take several years
and a lot of work. Several people offered to help with writing, and Baran
took their names. Baran will start by developing an outline via email for
discussion at the Summer Power Meeting. The next step could then be a
special technical session at the 2002 WPM, followed by either an IEEE
tutorial publication or an IEEE Standard Guide. Hoffman suggested a
Web-based FAQ as another means of getting the material to a wide audience.
The subcommittee will sponsor a panel session at the Summer Power
Meeting in Vancouver, on the topic "Challenges in Distribution System
Analysis", to be coordinated by Miu. Possible topics include load
forecasting, DG analysis, reliability index computation, optimization, and
feeder or load estimation (which needs to be defined as something
different than classical state estimation with redundant measurements).
Fault detection, analysis, and restoration (FDR) is another possible
topic. Again, the emphasis should be on feeder-level analysis and
Dugan and McDermott will organize a repeat of the vendors panel session
for the T&D conference. The focus is still to be determined.
PSACE Committee Update
McDermott attended this meeting for Baran and submitted our panel title
and coordinator for the SPM in Vancouver. PSACE and PSO are considering a
merger, and will meet jointly at the SPM.
Distribution Subcommittee Update
McDermott attended this subcommittee meeting on Wednesday afternoon in
place of Pahwa. This subcommittee reviews more papers than any other
subcommittee in T&D. Vice Chair Cheri Warren may start sending some of
the more analytical papers to Baran for reviews. Announced update to the
radial test feeders, and the URL will be in their minutes. Suggested the
feeders can be used as an aid to software vendor evaluation, or in-house
utility software evaluation.
They are going to form a TF on the Impacts of DG on System Design,
chaired by Reigh Walling, probably under their System Design WG. There
would be little or no conflict between this TF and any DSASC efforts in DG
modeling. Walling had attended the nascent General Systems WG on DG
modeling Tuesday afternoon, chaired by Atef Morched, and reported on their
suggested scope. The Distribution SC was a little concerned about the
General Systems Subcommittee Update
McDermott attended this subcommittee meeting on Wednesday afternoon.
General Systems falls under the T&D Committee and covers EMTP,
harmonics, intelligent systems applications to T&D, and assorted other
issues. Walling also attended to raise concerns about their DG modeling WG
scope. There seemed to be a consensus that Distribution Subcommittee's TF
will focus on system design impacts, while the General Systems
Subcommittee's WG will focus on device modeling with some concern for the
model applications. DSASC could have a TF in feeder-level analysis methods
for DG with no conflicts.
Minutes prepared by
February 2, 2001