Job Title: Group Leader-Power Electronics
Reports To: Director, Systems Department
Paid Relocation YES
The mission of UTRC is to create opportunities for organic growth in sales and profitability through innovation of new products and processes. UTRC is an internationally recognized organization that conducts research and development across a range of technology areas to drive the “impact through innovation” mission. UTRC provides an opportunity for collaboration and partnership with global business units and other research organizations.
The Power Electronics Group Leader will be responsible for development of staff and capability for applied research in the field of power electronics and electrical engineering. This position requires very strong teaming and communications skills, together with the ability to lead people in state-of-the-art and innovative technical developments. In this position the candidate will define, shape and execute a comprehensive roadmap for power electronics innovation aligned with UTC leadership priorities and UTC business unit technical developments. The Power Electronics Group Leader will accomplish this mission by ensuring quality execution of projects in the group, identifying and hiring people, developing and nurturing talent. Successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to effectively identify and collaborate with academic partners aligned with business unit.
• Capability and Technology Development: Develop a strategic vision for the capabilities under his/her responsibility including strategic technologies, talent development, and academic partnerships. Effectively engage with the UTRC Business Units to develop an understanding of current directions and participate in the formulation of future research. Work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment focused on innovation and partner with leading worldwide institutions and government funding agencies to enhance existing programs, create opportunities, and assist in the acquisitions of contract awards.
• Staff competency development: Identifying competency gaps and develop plans to sustain and grow critical skills. The Group Leader plays a central role in performance reviews, individual development planning, career planning, technical mentoring, and ensuring quality of execution.
• Operations: the Group Leader is responsible for hiring, meeting financial targets, capital planning, and environmental health and safety in offices and laboratories.
Minimum of Masters degree in Electrical Engineering with at least 8-10 years experience. PhD in Electrical Engineering with at least 8 years of experience in industrial or in an academic environment preferred.
Demonstrated line management, leadership, communication, and staff development skills. Ability to provide technical and administrative reports and presentations.
Ability to work as part of a large team to achieve desired goals within schedule and budget constraints.
The candidate must have technical skills in at least one of the following topics:
· Integrated multi-physics modeling and design of variable speed drives;
· Power converters;
· Integrated alternative energy systems;
· Energy storage and electrical machines.
Expertise in one or more of the following areas is recommended: semiconductor power switches, their integration and packaging, converter topologies, design of integrated magnetic structures, control, fuel cells and batteries, renewable energy sources, electric drives, electromagnetic actuators and electric machines, electromagnetic emission and interference, and power quality.
Experience with modeling for control and hardware-in-the-loop testing is highly desired.
Summary of candidate “must haves”:
1. Masters degree in Electrical Engineering with at least 8-10 years experience OR a PhD in Electrical Engineering with at least 8 years of experience in industrial or in an academic environment.
2. Demonstrated line management, leadership, communication, and staff development skills
3. Technical expertise in power electronics and/or electrical machines.
4. Track record as technical contributor with a significant portfolio of peer reviewed and refereed publications in the field of power electronics
Candidates must be either a
Hill Associates LLC