Category 5.0, 6.0, 11.0
- Main Activity: Electrical and thermal measurements on HTS bulks and conductors, critical current measurements, liquid Neon facility, engineering applications and demonstrators, power applications (fault current limiters, cables, transformers, current leads)
- CESI RICERCA SpA has been established at the end of 2005 as a separate company owned entirely by CESI "Centro Elettrotecnico Sperimentale Italiano Giacinto Motta" SpA, with the mission to take over funded research activities of national and international interest. It started operating on January 1st 2006.
CESI RICERCA S.p.A., is currently owned by ENEA "Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and the Environment" (51%) and CESI S.p.A.
- The activity of the Superconductivity Group of CESI RICERCA focuses mainly on high temperature superconductors (HTS) of interest for the power energy sector and on the assessment of the potential impact of superconducting power devices on the electrical network.
- For its research on applied superconductivity the team, which is composed of six full-time researchers, can also rely on the ad hoc support of various experts and on collaborations and exchanges of technical information with academic institutions, research centers and companies around the world.
- Moreover, the group members are actively participating in several international committees e.g. the International Council on Large Electric Systems (CIGRE) and the International Energy Agency (IEA) in the frame of “Implementing Agreement for a Co-Operative Programme for Assessing the Impacts of High-Temperature Superconductivity on the Electric Power Sector”.
- Among others, the superconductivity team has been engaged in R&D projects on the following subjects:
- Monitoring the progress of HTS materials and their potential impact on design and performance of most significant superconducting electrical devices;
- Simulation, design and testing of electrical device prototypes such as HTS power transmission model cables, LTS superconducting magnetic energy storage devices (SMES), HTS current leads and fault current limiters (SFCL);
- Design and electrical testing of HTS conductors for current leads applications (for the LHC project at CERN, CH).
- Our Superconductivity Laboratory is equipped with all the facilities (e.g., large cryostats, powerful cryorefrigerators and dc as well as ac power supply), needed for the electrical characterization of HTS conductors, windings and prototypes in the temperature range 4.2 K – 100 K. In particular, an almost unique cryo-refrigerator allows us to perform electrical characterization around 27 K in liquid neon.
Dr. Luciano Martini
CESI RICERCA Spa
T&D technologies Department
T&D technologies & Superconductivity
Via Rubattino 54,
Tel.: +39 02 3992.5376 (5414)
Fax +39 02 3992.5130
Country Italy (I)