The eGrid is updated daily. Put on your favorites list:
www.egrid.biz or ewh.ieee.org/council/sfba/index.html
The egrid.biz URL is graciously paid for by software consultant Brian Berg, of CNSV
Let me know if you would like the mobile friendly version emailed out to you on a separate distribution list.
The eGrid is owned by the SF Bay Area Council (SFBAC)
IEEE Benefits and Information, including upcoming historic milestone events
Employment, job hunting tips, opportunities, and those looking for employment.Google Calendar to copy events to your own calendar
Computer History Museum. IEEE members get 50% discount on membership.
Advertise in the eGrid! See eGRID Ad Opportunies.pdf. The eGrid has more than 32,000 subscribers. Contact Sandra Winkler, Editor, at email@example.com.
Join some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has two openings for engineers focusing on semiconductor laser diodes. The Senior Semiconductor Laser Device Engineer will provide technical guidance, leadership, and supervision to team members with a focus on defining, developing, and deploying highly complex high-power diode laser pump arrays. Expertise in opto-electronic components is also required.
The Semiconductor Laser Device Engineer (mid to senior level) will design, build, and commission advanced semiconductor laser characterization tools and experiments, and design and lead complex experiments to characterize laser diode components.
The College of Engineering at San Jose State University, sjsu.edu/engineering/, invites applicants for lecturer positions in all engineering disciplines. Three online information sessions will be held on 10/7, 11/4, and 12/2 at 4 pm. Please use the following link for registering for the sessions: forms.gle/xNTfzDvLtMxmv9G69.
SJSU College of Engineering, Extended Studies, is actively looking for AI experts, especially those interested in Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Data Mining. To continue growing, we are considering new instructors for Masters in AI programs. Instructors teach 11-week, online masters courses one evening per week. Please write firstname.lastname@example.org with 1) a resume or LinkedIn and 2) which AI areas or courses interest you. Share in our continued growth and the enrichment of the leaders of tomorrow!
The College of Engineering at San Jose State University is offering an online, credit-bearing 3-unit course, Introduction to Intellectual Property for Engineers. Provides an overview of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret laws; identify and address common intellectual property issues in corporate settings. Begins: January 25, 2023, online on MW 17:30~18:45. ENGR131, Introduction to Patent Law for Engineers, will be introduced in Fall, 2023.
Santa Clara University Graduate Engineering
PROFESSIONAL WEBINARS, CONFERENCES, AND EVENTS
Free In-Person Workshop
Professor Harris leads this session to use RISC-V to teach computer architecture and the design of SoCs. Learn the fundamentals of computer architecture using the WD open-source SweRV EH1 RISC-V core targeted to a Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA. Quickly get the RISC-V FPGA system and RISC-V tools up and running on Digilent’s Nexys A7 dev board. All of the RVfpga labs will be discussed and how to use and work hands-on through a selection of the labs.
Held on December 15, from 9 am to 5 pm, at the UCSC Silicon Valley Extension Training Center in Santa Clara , not far from the San Jose Convention Center, where the RISC-V Summit, a separate event, will be held.
24th International Symposium on Quality Electronic Design (ISQED'23), April 5-7, 2023
The 60th Design Automation Conference (DAC) will be held July 9-13, 2023 at Moscone Center West in the gorgeous city of San Francisco. Premier event for the design and design automation of electronic chips to systems. DAC offers outstanding training, education, exhibits, and networking opportunities.
The 15th Annual IEEE Energy Conversion Conference and Expo (ECCE 2023) will be held in Nashville, Tennessee, from October 29 to November 2, 2023. ECCE is a pivotal international event on energy conversion, renewable energy, electric drives, and more... Come join 2000 of your closest friends in "Music City," one of the most exciting tourist and conference locations in the world!
See job search tips on the Employment page. Link is in the sidebar on the left.
If you are currently unemployed and wish to seek employment in the eGrid, please email me your name, the work you are looking for (in a few words), your email address, and LinkedIn contact info. There is no charge for this service.
VOLUNTEER AND SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
More detail on these volunteer opportunities is available on the Volunteer Opportunities page. The link is in the far left column.
Healthy Cities Tutoring, Help a K-8th grade student with reading, writing, math, homework, organization, study skills, self esteem. 45 minutes a week; training and support provided.
Have you ever thought about teaching? Learn more and Apply for the EnCorps Fellowship for STEM Professionals - encorps.org
Project Open NanoCarbon - Monthly meetups/opensci journal club to research, build and deploy open hardware to rapidly solidify gigatonnes of carbon from atmospheric CO2.
Advise & mentor underrepresented young adult entrepreneurs. Flexible time commitment. Business and technology experienced professionals browse details, and apply to join at skysthelimit.org
IEEE MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
Thinking of becoming a member of IEEE? Benefits include:
* Free subscription to the IEEE Spectrum
* Access to a library of publications and published papers
* Join a standards working group
* Join a chapter or society and have a positive impact on your career and industry
* Advance your career with networking opportunities
* Gain access to Collabratec for job seekers
* Receive discounts on home, auto, travel, health, dental, and life insurance, as well as Dell, and UPS at IEEE Member Discount Services Benefits
* Wolfram - Mathematica technical computing software, available to students and professional members worldwide
* GradFin- student loan refinance advisory available for US borrowers
* More new discounts coming in 2021
* Insurance Circuit, a free, monthly newsletter from Mercer, which covers news and information about the IEEE Member Group Insurance Program and financial wellbeing.
* Marketplace, a new platform for a changing variety of time-sensitive and exclusive discounts on products and services.
* An opportunity to be part of a society which is changing the world.
EGRID SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES
We invite any SF Bay Area engineer/developer/manager to subscribe to the eGrid at no cost to the eGRID and receive it twice a month. These subscribers are maintained on the IEEE's secure ListServ system, and you can subscribe/unsubscribe at any time.
To subscribe to your current email address, and you are an IEEE member, send a separate email to
email@example.com with subscribe e-GRID-I FirstName LastName in the BODY of the email. Substitute e-GRID if not an IEEE member.
Be sure to email from the account in which the subscription is emailed, not one which "points" at the real email address. If you have trouble with this, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The 15th Annual IEEE Energy Conversion Conference and Expo will be held at the famed Music City Center in Nashville, Tennessee on October 29 – November 2, 2023. ECCE is the pivotal international conference and exposition event on electrical and electromechanical energy conversion, renewable energy, electric drives, and more.
Deadline for Digest Submissions and Tutorial Proposals: February 19, 2023
Call for Contributions for the 60th Design Automation Conference (DAC) 2023. DAC is recognized as the premier event for the design and design automation of electronic chips to systems. DAC offers outstanding training, education, exhibits and superb networking opportunities for designers, researchers, tool developers and vendors. Engineering Tracks:
Front-End Design Track Submission Deadline: January 17, 2023, 5:00 PM (PST)
The 60th DAC will be held July 9-13, 2023 at Moscone Center West in San Francisco.
24th International Symposium on Quality Electronic Design (ISQED'23)| Call for Papers, due December 3, 2022.
ISQED caters to manufacturing, design and EDA. Papers desired involving high level design, circuit design (digital, analog, mixed-signal, RF), test & verification, design automation tools; processes; flows, device modeling, semiconductor technology, advance packaging, and biomedical & bioelectronic devices. This conference will take place April 5-7, 2023 in San Francisco.
ADVANCE YOUR CAREER WITH ADDITIONAL EDUCATION
SCU Engineering: Leading the way to a sustainable future.
Engineering with a MissionThe Sobrato Campus for Discovery and Innovation is the new home for the Sciences, Engineering, and Mathematics, built to support collaboration across traditional disciplines. Find or fuel your passion in one or more of our interdisciplinary labs.
* Tackle problems at the nanoscale in our Center for Nanostructures.
To obtain more information on SCU's School of Engineering, please contact Stacey Tinker, Director of Admissions, at email@example.com or call 408-554-4313.
You are cordially invited to attend the RF and wireless training courses listed below by Besser Associates, the worldwide leader in RF and wireless training.
RF Technology Certification, New session starting soon, On Demand, Online
For the complete schedule please visit: BesserAssociates.com.
IEEE CHAPTER AND SOCIETY EVENTS
12/1, 7:00 pm, SCV TEMS, On the "Great Resignation" Phenomenon, Virtual Event
We will examine the phenomenon of the “Great Resignation” as well as its offshoot “Quiet Quitting”, from an employee and a management perspective; videos.
12/7, 6:30 pm, SFBA RAS, Robust Depth Estimation for Robots with Stereo Cameras using Bespoke DNNs, Virtual Event
12/8, 6:00 pm, SFBA VTS, Functional Safety and the IEEE P2851 Standard on Dependability for Autonomous Machines, Virtual Event
12/8, 11 am, SFBAC PELS, Common Mode EMI Analysis and Mitigation Methods in Three-Phase Inverters, Virtual Event
12/12, 6:30 pm, SCV CS, Democratizing NLP: Considerations from Resources to Algorithms, Virtual Event
12/13, 7:00 pm, SCV CNSV, The World of the Expert Witness, Webinar
12/15, 11:30 am, SCV NANO, Selective Subatomic Separations by Thin Membranes, Virtual Event
12/15, 6:00 pm, SCV CAS, Dense WDM Silicon Photonics Design and Verification, Zoom
1/2/2023, 8:30 pm, SCV CS, Quantum Paradigm for Machine Learning, Virtual Event
1/5, 8:00 am, SFBA EPS, Tutorial: Reliability Testing and Design for Reliability of Packaging Interconnects, WebEx
1/26, 1200 pm, SFBA EPS, Thermal and Failure Analysis of Advanced Sub-Micron Devices, SEMI World Hdqtrs, Milpitas (and via WebEx)
3/8, 12:00 pm, SFBA EPS, Chiplet Design and Heterogeneous Integration Packaging, SEMI World Hdqtrs, Milpitas (and via WebEx)
IEEE Engineering chapters, societies, and affinity groups in the SF Bay Area
* Antenna and Propagation Society (APS) * Blockchain (BC) * Circuits & Systems Society (CASS) * Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley (CNSV)* Consumer Technology Society (CTSoc) * Control Systems Society (CSS) * Communications Society (ComSoc) * Computer Society (CS)* Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) * Corporate Liaison Program (CLP) * Electron Devices Society (EDS) * Electronic Packaging Society (EPS) * Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) * Engineering In Medicine & Biology Society (EMBS) * Industry Applications Society (IAS) * Industry Engagement (IE) * Instrumentation & Measurement Society (IMS) * Life Members Affinity Group (LMAG)* Magnetics Society (MAG) * MEMS & Sensors Council (MEMS) * Microwave Theory & Techniques (MTT) * Nanotechnology Council(NANO) * Nuclear & Plasma Sciences (NUE) * Photonics (PHOT)* Power & Energy Society (PES) & Industry Applications Society (IAS) * Power Electronics Society (PELS) * Product Safety Engineering (PSE) * Reliability (REL) * Robotics & Automation (RAS) * Silicon Valley Sustainability Chapter (SUST) * Signal Processing Society (SPS) * Silicon Valley Technology History Committee (SVTHC) * Society for Social Implications of Technology (SSIT) * Solid State Circuits Society (SSCS) * Startup Special Interest Group (SIG) * Technology and Engineering Management Society (TEMS) * Vehicular Technology Society (VTS) * Women In Engineering Affinity Group (WIE) * Young Professionals Affinity Group (YP)