THE INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS
CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA SECTION BY-LAWS
Nothing in these By-laws is to be construed as to be contrary to
the IEEE By-laws, Constitution and Policy and Procedures
ARTICLE I Name and Territory
- Sec. 1 This organization shall be known as the Central North
Carolina Section of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics
- Sec. 2 The territory of the Central North Carolina Section,
as approved by the Regional Activities Board, includes the
following: the counties of Alamance, Caswell, Guilford,
Montgomery, Randolph and Rockingham in the State of North
ARTICLE II Officers
- Sec. 1 The elected officers of the Section shall be Chair,
Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer. The offices of Secretary
and Treasurer may be combine into one person.
- Sec. 2 The terms of office of the elected officers shall be
for 1 year.
- Sec. 3 Terms of office will begin January 1 the year of the
following the election, but in any case the outgoing officers
will continue until their successors are duly elected and take
- Sec.4 Any vacant occurring during the year shall be filled
by a majority vote of the Section Executive Committee.
- Sec. 5 The duties of the elected officers shall be as
described in the IEEE bylaws and in the Section Operations
ARTICLE III Standing Committees
- Sec. 1 The Standing Committees of the Section will be
Membership, Professional Activities, Program and Student
- Sec. 2 The Chair of the standing committees will be
appointed by the Section Chair with the approval of the Section
Executive Committee, and their terms will expire on December 31.
- Sec. 3 Each Committee Chair will appoint his/her committee
members with the approval of the Section Executive Committee,
and their terms will expire on December 31.
- Sec. 4 Duties of the Standing Committees will be generally
as described in the IEEE Section Operations Guide.
ARTICLE IV Management
- Sec. 1 The management of the Section shall be by the Section
Executive Committee which shall consist of the elected officers,
The Past Section Chair and the following: other section Officers
and Standing Committee Chair's.
- Sec. 2 The majority of the Section Executive Committee shall
constitute a quorum.
- Sec. 3 A majority of the Section Executive Committee present
shall be necessary in the conduct of its business,
- Sec. 4 Meetings of the Executive Committee ordinarily will
be held bi-monthly and will be called by the Section Chair or by
request of any three members of the Section Executive
- Sec. 5 The fiscal year of the Section shall be January 1
through December 31.
ARTICLE V Nomination and Election of Officers
- Sec. 1 The Nominating Committee consists of three members,
not then officers of the Section, shall be appointed by the
Section Chair with the approval of the Section Executive
- Sec. 2 The nominations of the Nominating Committee will be
announced to the Section membership and following this, a
minimum of twenty-eight days allowed for additional nominations
by petition. To be valid the petition must be signed by three or
more voting members,.
- Sec. 3 If only one nomination is made for each office, the
election will be made at the Annual meeting. If additional
nominations are made, election will be by ballot mailed to the
section membership with the vote counted by a Tellers Committee
appointed by the Section Chair.
- Sec. 4 The timetable for this procedure is as follows:
- August 1 Appointment of Nominations Committee September
Meeting Announcement of Nominations
- October 15 Close of Nominations by petition November
meeting Hold Elections
- A ballot, if required , shall be mailed prior to
- Sec. 5 A plurality of the votes cast shall be necessary for
ARTICLE VI Business Meeting
- Sec. 1 In order to transact business at a Section meeting,
at least 10 members must be present to constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE VII Finances
- Sec. 1 All expenditures of Section funds must be approved by
the Section Executive Committee.
- Sec. 2 Without prior authorization of the National IEEE
Executive Committee, Section funds can be used only for normal
operations of the Section.
- Sec. 3 The Treasurer shall be authorized to draw funds as
approved by the Section Executive Committee.
ARTICLE VIII Amendments
- Sec. 1 Proposals for amendments to these Bylaws may
originate in the Section Executive Committee or by a petition
signed by ten percent or more of the voting members of the
- Sec. 2 Amendments to or revocation of these Bylaws shall be
in accordance with the IEEE Bylaws.
ARTICLE IX North Carolina Council
- Sec. 1 This Section shall be affiliated with the North
Carolina Council of IEEE, and shall support the Council the
"Symposium", statewide student activities, and shall work
closely with other sections in the Council to promote the aims
and objectives of the IEEE.
Originally approved April 19, 1966
Amended June 1, 1994
Amended January 19,1999
Updated bylaws approved June 24, 1999