Australia Council Origins
The Australia Council was established on May 30th 1986 following the formation of state-based sections in New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland.
The IEEE document confirming the foundation of the Australia Council is located here.
Australia Council Activities
The Council conducts the following activities on behalf of its constituent sections:
• Coordinates Australian visits of international distinguished lecturers;
• Liaises with other technical and professional societies at a national level;
• Promotes IEEE through national activities;
• Supports Australian hosting of major IEEE conferences;
• Acts or responds on behalf of the Australian sections as required from time to time.
The Council conducts a student paper and a student branch competition annually. Details for the current year are available on the Student Activities page.
The Australia & New Zealand Student Congress, a biannual event held alternately in Australia and New Zealand, is funded and co-sponsored by the Council.
A copy of the Australia Council bylaws is available here.
A document describing the bidding process and other important aspects related to staging the Australia & New Zealand Student Congress is available here.
Click here to access the original Australia Council website.