Welcome to the IEEE New Zealand Central Section
The NZ Central Section has been serving IEEE members
since 2005 and showing significant growth in
membership through the introduction of targeted new
Chapters, Affinity Groups, Student Branches and specially supported events.
A more detailed history of the Section since its
inception until the present day is
available from here.
Recently, we started the new Computational Intelligence Chapter, more details about this and our other Technical Chapters can be found in circulated notices and the link provided opposite.
The Central Section Committee for 2016 can be found through the following link, please feel to contact us with any enquiries. Following the 2016 AGM, the Committee elect for 2017 has been confirmed on the committee link.
There are currently three chapters directly associated with our Section:
- Joint Chapter in Signal Processing and Information Theory
- Power and Energy Society Chapter
- Computational Intelligence Chapter
Nationally Affiliated ChaptersIn addition to the above chapters that are directly affiliated with their respective IEEE Societies, our Section is actively involved in National (New Zealand) Chapters affiliated with other major IEEE Societies including:
- IEEE Communications Society
- IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society
- IEEE Robotics ad Automation
Affinity GroupsWe have an active group supporting our recent graduates:
- Young Professionals - formerly known as GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade) Group
We are in the process of forming a Women in Engineering (WIE) group, if you are interested please contact Bing Xue who is on our committee. Please note in the Recent events section below that a special conference was held in December 2015.
We have two Student Branches in our region and we encourage and support students to join these Branches from both Massey and Victoria universities. A highlight of the year is a joint presentation day featuring the research students at both universities describing their current research and networking with each other in a friendly and social atmosphere. Postgraduate and Undergraduate students are most welcome to participate in the events. To find out more, please follow this link to the Student Branch pages.
- Massey University Student Branch
- Victoria University Student Branch
Last event was on Tuesday 30th August, 2016 at Victoria University. Follow this link to Student Branch pages to find a brief report and access to the latest photos from that event.
The next Post-graduate Presentation Day event will be held at Massey University on Monday 4th September 2017. Further announcements will be made when the time and location have been confirmed.
Items of Interest to Members:
Associate Editor Appointment
Bing Xue has been appointed as an Associate Editor for the IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine (Impact Factor: 3.647),
which is a major journal in Computational Intelligence. Her main role as an Associate Editor is to participate in the discussion
of the major scope of this journal, identifying emergent areas and organising special issues, and coordinating the review process
of related paper submissions. This good recognition of our Central Section member Bing's work and reputation in Computational Intelligence.
How your membership is working for you! - IEEE Benefits
IEEE members can access information on local events and activities by signing in to myIEEE, the members' personalized gateway to IEEE membership. In addition, members can also:
- Access individual Society memberships and subscriptions
- Connect with local IEEE Sections and volunteer leadership
- Find upcoming conferences, meetings, and events.
- Learn more about individual benefits
- Read the latest news from IEEE, IEEE Spectrum, IEEE Standards News, and The Institute
Accelerate your plans! As a member, you'll be presented with new resources, valuable opportunities and many discounts that will help you advance your
career in the right direction.
Through your IEEE membership, you can find colleagues who share your vision and commitment-those who are moving technology forward today.
Why not visit the membership benefits page to learn more about the many exciting opportunities available through your membership including discounts, insurance, and much more...
Look for job postings and other career opportunities in IEEE Collabratec. Visit the Opportunities section to:
- Search job listings and filter by location, interest, and posting date.
- Manage your saved job listings for quick reference and review.
- Communications (signal processing), over 1,000 jobs posted
- Energy, over 600 jobs posted
- Information Technology, over 600 jobs posted
- Nuclear and Plasma Sciences, over 300 jobs posted
- Biomedical Engineering, over 300 jobs posted
- Cybersecurity, over 100 jobs posted
Make yourself visible to recruiters who represent the top technology firms in their respective industries. Get started by enabling your Employment Preferences under the Settings tab in Opportunities. Identify your desired interest in areas such as:
- Job type (Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Internship)
- Preferred amount of business travel
- Willingness to relocate
- Employer location (Country, State, City)
- Annual salary
IEEE New Zealand Central Section Awards
Distinguished Small Section Award 2014
The Region 10 Distinguished Section Award is given to recognize the excellent work of the
Section in the previous year and therefore this year
(2015) the awards were called the 2014 awards.
The award is presented for three categories, namely Small, Medium and Large R10 Distinguished Sections.
The 2014 R10 Distinguished Sections are:
- New Zealand Central Section (Small Section category)
- Lahore Section (Medium Section category) and
- Kerala Section (Large Section category)
Congratulations from Region 10 to New Zealand Central, Lahore and Kerala Sections!
2015 Outstanding Membership Retention Award
The IEEE New Zealand Central Section has been
recognised by the IEEE Membership Recruitment and
Recovery Committee for achieving its membership
development goals that were developed based on the
Section's three year performance which recognises
continued growth in our membership during that
Please help us grow our membership by suggesting that your associates join the IEEE to receive and enjoy the many benefits of participation
in this world-wide engineering organisation!
Follow this link to renew your membership or direct a colleague to the IEEE membership website.
Region 10 Outstanding Volunteer Awards 2015
IEEE Region 10 recognizes and values the important role of members as volunteers to promote the IEEE objectives in the region. The following volunteers (listed in alphabetical order by first name) were acknowledged with the 2015 R10 Outstanding Volunteer Award:
- Akinori Nishihara (Tokyo Section)
- Cornelis Jan (Keith) Kikkert (South Australia Section)
- Jianguo Huang (Xian Section) Lakshminarayana Merugu (Hyderabad Section)
- Lance Fung (Western Australia Section)
- Murray Milner (New Zealand Central Section)
- Nirbhay Chaubey (Gujarat Section)
- Stefan Mozar (New South Wales Section)
- Wu Qun (Harbin Section)
Murray Milner - Outstanding Volunteer Award 2015
Congratulations Murray Milner and the other winners! A presentation was made to Murray Milner by the current Chair of the Central Section, Donald Bailey, at the recent Joint Institutions Breakfast meeting (report given below). Donald Bailey reads a citation outlining significant achievements by Murray (below left) and presents the award (below right).
Upcoming General and Technical Meetings
Technical Meetings, Conferences and Events
- The 2017 - 2nd Workshop on Recent Trends in Telecommunications Research (RTTR). This workshop will be held at Massey University, Palmerston North on Feb 10th, 2017. Initial details available from this flyer.
- Nicolás Erdödy, organises a regular conference, Multicore World here in Wellington. The 6th conference is being held from February 20-22. Nicolás is offering discounted attendance for IEEE Central Section members, down 20% from $1,200 to $960 (ex GST) here: https://multicoreworld2017.lilregie.com/step1 . Further details including an impressive list of speakers may be obtained from their website: https://openparallel.com/multicore-world-2017/program-2017/ .
- provide a platform to share and discuss your ideas through papers, exhibitions, plenary talks, tutorials, etc.
- connect you to the renowned personalities in the respective field of Engineering & Technology.
- upgrade your knowledge and skills in new and emerging technology and research.
- provide opportunity to update with the new innovations and products through the exhibition, etc.
- polish your interpersonal and professional skills with the guidance of leaders
- boost the inspiration to become an IEEE volunteer for advancing the Technology for humanity and so on.
- TENCON: It is one of the prestigious events of R10 which was started in 1980. In its 36 years of operation, this conference has been organized in many parts of Asia-Pacific with a great success. The scope of this conference is very wide covering all the fields of Engineering and Technology. In 2017, it is going to be held in Penang, Malaysia during Nov. 5-8, 2017 (http://ieeemy.org/tencon/).
- TENSYMP was started in 2013 as TENCON (spring) and in 2014, it was renamed as TENSYMP which is normally organized in March-June every year. It is a theme (specialized) based conference. In 2017, it was held in Kochi, India during July 14-16, 2017 (http://tensymp2017.org/).
- R10 Humanitarian Technology Conference (R10-HTC) is a cross disciplinary conference that focuses on development and application of technology for the benefit of humanity. It was started in 2013 and generally organized in the 4th quarter of the year. In 2017, it is going to be held in Dhaka, Bangladesh during December 21-23, 2017 (http://r10htc2017.com/).
Please follow this link for more events that were held by or supported by our Section in 2016.
Recent Conferences and Meetings
- Joint Institutions Breakfast event featuring Scott Houston was held at the Wellesley Boutique Hotel, 2 Maginnity Street, Wellington
- The Annual General Meeting of the IEEE Central Section was held on 30th November at 5:30pm in the Wellesley Boutique Hotel, 2 Maginnity Street, Wellington.
- ITNAC 2016 conference in Dunedin, 7-9 December 2016.
IEEE Distinguished Lecture for the IEEE Computational Intelligence Chapter by Jun Wang (Hong Kong)
The IEEE Computational Intelligence Chapter announced the visit of IEEE Distinguished Lecturer
Chair Professor Jun Wang (Hong Kong) an IEEE Fellow and the delivery of a Distinguished Lecture
in November 2016 as per the details given below:
Title: The State of the Art of Neurodynamic Optimization: Past, Present, and Prospects
Venue: CO350, Victoria University of Wellington, Kelburn Campus
Date: 23 November 2016
Cost: Free - All were welcome.
A brief report including an abstract of the talk and a bio of the speaker can be obtained from here.