IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - Vol. 47, No. 11 - December 2014
Section/Society Chapter/Affinity Group Events
- 2014 IEEE Orlando Section Annual Election - Deadline: Dec. 8 at noon.
- IEEE Orlando Section Honors Eight Section Members at 2014 Awards Banquet
- Section Congress 2014 Region photos taken in Amsterdam
- WMFE Public Relations sound - Join/Renew IEEE or an IEEE Society
- Refer a Colleague, Get Great Merchandise
- Call for Volunteers for Chapter Officers and Committee Officers
- IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - December 2014: HTML - PDF
- IEEE Membership Development Report - September 2014
- Region 3 MD Report - September 2014
- Region 3 First Year Membership Project
- R3 Membership Development Manual
- IEEE Region 3 newsletter
- 3rd Quarter AICN Newsletter
- Memorandum to Consultants Networks
- IEEE Orlando Section Congratulates Our New Senior Member!
- IEEE Orlando Section Congratulates Dr. David Flinchbaugh for 60 years of membership
IEEE Conferences/Annual Meetings/Events
- Dec. 9, 2014 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence(IEEE SSCI 2014), Orlando, FL
- April 9 - 12, 2015 IEEE SoutheastCon 2015, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Other IEEE News/Events
- IEEE Member Discounts
- IEEE Member Benefits Bulletin: October 2014
- SOCIETY SENTINEL
- IEEE USA Today's Engineer
- IEEE TA Spotlight
- Latest IEEE-USA E-Books’ Free Offerings to Members
- IEEE MGA SCOOP NEWSLETTER
- IEEE HISTORY CENTER NEWSLETTER
Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Time: 6:30 - 7:00 pm - Dinner; 7:00 - 8:00 pm Executive Committee Meeting
Place: Red Lobster Restaurant, 3552 E. Colonial Drive, (Approx. 300 Yards North East of the usual meeting location) Orlando, Fl 32803.
Cost: Meeting attendance is free to all IEEE members and Non-IEEE members.
RSVP: Stanley Buchanan, stanbuchanan@IEEE.org, tel. 407-256-3329 - Cell. Please RSVP and be at the restaurant at or very close to 6:30 P.M. ordering time. We will meet in the side room at the South East Corner inside the building (enter on the North side facing E. Colonial Drive). Expeditious ordering will be accomplished if all attendees will print out and bring with them the attached Menu and circle their selections. Extra copies will be available at the restaurant for those who forget their copy.
Menu Selection: See Menu from which attendees are to make their selection(s) for dinner. The Bar Harbor Salad item at the bottom is an addition to our chosen menu and primarily for those who need an extra Vege option (i.e., without the Meat portion)
Welcome to the 2014 IEEE Orlando Section Annual Election! The appointed Elections Committee formed by Juisai, Joe N. email@example.com, Mike Orlovsky firstname.lastname@example.org and David Flinchbaugh email@example.com wants to take this opportunity to personally express its sincere appreciation for you being an IEEE member! Our duty and responsibility is to ensure that your voting rights are protected and that you are confident that your vote is accurately cast and tabulated.
- Sign-in using your IEEE Web Account at https://voting.vtools.ieee.org/
- Click where it says “Click here to vote on a ballot”
- Select the 2014 Orlando Section Annual Election Ballot
- Click “Vote” under the column “Action” and follow the instructions
- Chair: Stanley P. Buchanan
- Vice Chair: Ravi Rajaravivarma
- Secretary: Lynn Guthrie
- Treasurer: Yiliu Wang
Thank you for voting – your vote counts!
The IEEE President's Office in Piscataway, NJ sent out a pin, which was received on October 24, 2014 by Dr. David E. Flinchbaugh, P.E. acknowledging his 60 years of continuous active membership, starting with his joining as a college student member at the April 1954 Conference and Exposition of the "Institute of Radio Engineers" at the New York City Coliseum.
On October 1, 2014, Dr. Flinchbaugh also received a letter granting him an Honorable Mention for his work toward inventing a solution in the "Creating the Future" design competition conducted by the new Medical Design Briefs publisher in NYC, which also has published NASA Tech Briefs for several decades. A description of his work and its importance to society will be included in next month's November issue of their publication.
He has entered the "Patents for Humanity" competition sponsored by the United States Patent & Trademark Office, with his seven issued patents and 25 additional patent applications for medical devices, systems, and procedures.
He has also become involved with one of the newest IEEE organizations, the "IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society", where their newly elected leader is located in Gainesville, FL.
With his new 501(c)(3) (pending) charitable organization, the "Foundation Fighting Fatal Infection and Disease" he has also applied for a grant with the IEEE Life Member Foundation which he and his wife of 57 years, Heide, hope will speed their ability to provide the Wounded Warriors, the Disable American Veterans, the Wounded Airmen, and other similar groups of disabled personnel with their unique, FDA-certified, clinically-proven life-saving medical products.
The IEEE Orlando Section congratulates our new Senior Member!:
- William Castro
The last A&A Review Panel meeting was held on 18 October in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The next Senior Member Review Panel Meeting will be held on 22 November in New Brunswick, NJ.
For details on how to apply for IEEE Senior Member grade and view the 2014 review panel meeting dates, visit the IEEE Senior Member homepage. For Senior Member inquiries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpful Senior Member web links:
- Senior Member Update
- Senior Member Application
- Senior Member Reference Form
- Senior Member Nomination Event Guide
- Identify members you wish to recruit for senior membership elevation:
- Click on Access SAMIEEE (systems asks twice)
- Log in with IEEE username/password
- Click on catalog
- Double click on Shared Folder
- Click on SAMIEEE
- Click on Geographic Predefined Queries
- Click on (GEO) SM Upgrade - 1st Level Requirements
Volunteers with access to SAMIEEE can run a predefined query - Senior Member Upgrade - 1st Level Requirements.
The Valencia College Division of Engineering, Computer Programming, and Technology was recently informed that one of the teachers in the Laser/Photonics Academy at Wekiva High School, which is a partnership with Valencia College, is not returning this fall. These leaves the academy students at Wekiva without a teacher for two classes. I am committed to helping Wekiva to replace the teacher before the 2014-2015 school year begins for Orange County Public Schools. Here is some information about the Academy: https://www.ocps.net/lc/north/hwe/Documents/Laser%20Photonics%20Brochure.pdf
The teacher for these two classes must have a masters degree in electrical engineering, electronics, or photonics. If a candidate is a certified teacher, they will be eligible for the full-time position at Wekiva HS and will teach two additional classes in electronics. If not, they can still teach there as a Valencia Dual Enrollment instructor, at a pay scale that is higher than the Valencia adjunct rate, for the two needed photonics courses – see here: https://valenciacollege.edu/HR/documents/ValenciaCollegeSalarySchedule14-15.pdf (Page 5 shows dual enrollment salary in parentheses)
If you or someone that you know is interested in applying for this opportunity, the turn-around time will be fairly quick. Please let me know and I will facilitate the appropriate connections and process.
Please share this message with anyone you think might be qualified/interested.
Lisa Macon, Ph.D.
Division of Engineering, Computer Programming, & Technology
AAWCC Marketing Coordinator
Do you know what the IEEE Member Discounts program does for IEEE members? Here are some important facts about this program:
- More than 70,000 IEEE members use at least one of the benefits in the Member Discounts program.
- Member Discounts products and services are supported by contracts between IEEE and providers, vetted by the professional staff and volunteers.**
- Member Discounts help to support the personal and professional needs of IEEE members throughout their careers, and are portable when they change employers.
- Not all Member Discounts insurance plans and product discounts are available in every country; however, members can find many benefits available in a number of countries, with more being added each year. In fact, the insurance program now spans 84 countries!
- Member Discounts are promoted at no cost to any member and more than $5.3 million in annual non-dues revenue from these programs benefit members worldwide.
Discover what IEEE Member Discounts can offer you. The Member Discounts portfolio consists of insurance products and programs for the home, office and travel, all at excellent group rates and reduced pricing. Visit IEEE Member Discounts to see what’s available in your location and enjoy the savings.
** We can assist with developing local benefits, too. Contact L.Koblin@ieee.org for more information.
IEEE Orlando Section.